Monday, January 21, 2013

I Have A Dream

On this day....

On this day, a great leader was born and another was sworn into office.  On this day, two great men of color began journeys into history.  On this day, barriers were broken.  On this day, I have a dream.

I have a dream that on this day, sometime hopefully not so far into the future, our new president will roll up to that podium.  That our new president will take the oath of office in sign language, or have happy flappy stimmy hands while reading their speech.  I have a dream that one day, our nation will be forced to listen as our president makes their way through their speech with the thick accent of palsy.  I have a dream that our president will someday be -

out and proud DISabled -

the DIS means something, you know.

 I have a dream that someday all our children will play together, regardless of how they play.

That people will walk, roll, and crutch in harmony together, on their way to work, play, and everything in between.

I have a dream that the heavy black curtain of stigma and shame that smothered FDR will be drawn aside in favor of the blinding light of pride.  That my future children will not have to face questions about the competency of their upbringing, just because they have a disabled mother.  That all ways of experiencing the beauty of the world will be seen as equally valid and equally breathtaking.

I have a dream someday, the worthiness of life will be judged on the quality of it, not the abilities contained within it.  That, when life is deemed unlivable, steps will be taken to make it livable, not end it.  That those locked up in institutions will be set free, just as the slaves were set free so many years ago.

 I have a dream that we will practice acceptance, not just preach it.  That tolerating will be swept away in order to make room for accepting and embracing all our unique differences.  That all will be free to travel the earth and taste its sweet nectar.  That we will all drink from the fountain of equality.

I have a dream that someday, we will look back on our footsteps, crutch-prints and wheel tracks in the sands of time, and see just how far we have come.

On this inauguration day, on this birth day of a great change-maker, I have a dream.

1 comments :

Anonymous said...

Yes! I want a disabled President someday! I'd especially love a Pres with Cerebral Palsy like me!